+91 98887-61145

Information Returns

Made a Payment

If, as part of your trade or business, you made any of the following types of payments, you are required to file the appropriate information return.

  • For each person to whom you have paid at least $600 for the following during the year (Form 1099-NEC):
  • Services performed by someone who is not your employee (including parts and materials)
  • Cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) you purchase from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish
  • Payments to attorneys (including law firms or other providers of legal services)

For each person to whom you have paid the following during the year (Form 1099-MISC):

  • Rents (Box 1)
  • Royalties (Box 2)
  • Other income (Box 3), including prizes and awards
  • Federal income tax withheld (Box 4), including backup withholding
  • Fishing boat proceeds (Box 5)
  • Medical and health care services (Box 6)
  • Substitute payments in lieu of dividends or interest (Box 8)
  • Crop insurance proceeds (Box 9)
  • Gross proceeds paid to an attorney, for example in a settlement agreement (Box 10, but payments to attorneys for services are reported on Form 1099-NEC)
  • Fish purchased for resale (Box 11)
  • Section 409A deferrals (Box 12)
  • Excess golden parachute payments (Box 13)
  • Nonqualified deferred compensation (Box 14)

Note: It is important that you place the payment in the proper box on the form.

  • Interest on a business debt to someone (excluding interest on an obligation issued by an individual) (Form 1099-INT)
  • Dividends or other distributions to a company shareholder (Form 1099-DIV)
  • Distribution from a retirement or profit plan or from an IRA or insurance contract (Form 1099-R)
  • Payments to merchants or other entities in settlement of reportable payment transactions, that is, any payment card or third party network transaction (Form 1099-K)

Received a Payment and Other Reporting Situations

  • If, as part of your trade or business, you received any of the following types of payments, you are required to file the appropriate information return.
  • Payment of mortgage interest (including points) or reimbursements of overpaid interest from individuals (Form 1098)
  • Sale or exchange of real estate, for example the person responsible for closing the transaction (Form 1099-S)
  • You are a broker and you sold a covered security belonging to your customer (Form 1099-B)
  • You are an issuer of a security taking a specified corporate action that affects the cost basis of the securities held by others (Form 8937)
  • You released someone from paying a debt secured by property or someone abandoned property that was subject to the debt (Form 1099-A) or otherwise forgave their debt to you (Form 1099-C)
  • You made direct sales of at least $5,000 of consumer products to a buyer for resale anywhere other than a permanent retail establishment (Form 1099-MISC)

Additional Information:

  • If you are a recipient or payee of an incorrect Form 1099-MISC contact the payor. If you cannot get this form corrected, attach an explanation to your tax return and report your income correctly.
  • If you are a recipient or payee expecting a Form 1099-MISC and have not received one, contact the payor.

Not Required to File Information Returns

You are not required to file information return(s) if any of the following situations apply:


  • You are engaged in a trade or business and
  • the payment was made to another business that is incorporated, but was not for medical or legal services or
  • the sum of all payments made to the person or unincorporated business is less than $600 in one tax year